“I’ve been a Christian for 40 years, and I haven’t even considered half the stuff you guys are talking about… and I’m a pastor for goodness sake!”
One of the most important things we do at the end of NEXT is to summarise our year – everything we have explored and discovered together – by clarifying four things:
- Creed: What do we stand for?
- Conflict: What do we stand against?
- Confession: How have we contributed to the brokenness of our world?
- Customs: How do we practice the true, the good and the beautiful things of God?
These all come together into what we call a pledge – a commitment we make to one another to live in a way that embodies these convictions.
I am always stunned by what emerges – and evidently, so was a pastor who attended our final service (well, it was a bit more like a rite of passage) where he witnessed this pledge.
This year’s NEXTers crammed a magical year of faith, fun and friendship into 43 power-packed statements and 1181 words. We’ll be letting you in on some of them over the next little while.
As you enter the season of longing for the Christ child, you may want to ponder these questions:
- What have you discovered this year?
- What convictions anchor your life?
- Who helps you live out these convictions?
If you find it hard to answer these questions … maybe you should join us in 2017.
Discover more about NEXT here.